Sizzling Starts for Persuasive Writing

We have been studying the best ways to begin a text. We have researched some sizzling starts that other authors have used and they are posted in the comments. Enjoy!

26 thoughts on “Sizzling Starts for Persuasive Writing

1. ll you were the one who forgot the can opener.’
    ‘I said I was sorry, didn’t I? How many more times do I have to say it? Sorry. Sorry. Sorry!’
    (Where are the Billabongs When You Need Them? My second novel from long ago, about five multicultural kids lost in the bush and how they have to meld together as a group to survive.)

2. Hi Mr Andrea,

Here’s my sizzling start.
    My dad’s allergic to me. No joke. Well no one in our house is laughing, that’s for sure.
    (ACHOO! A heart-warming story about a father who gets massive hay fever attacks every time his son walks into the room.)

From Holly.

3. My dad’s allergic to me. No joke. Well no one in our house is laughing, that’s for sure.

4. Hi EVERYONE
    here is a sizzling start.
    CREAK! went the floor boards as John creeped around the house at midnight.

5. There are naked people at the Melbourne Museum. Lots of them. OK they are maniquens, but at first glance it seems you’ve stumbled on a roomful of nudists.
    I like this one it’s funny.
    LilyD5B

6. Hi Mr Andrea

If it rained for very much longer, even the ducks would drown.
    (Hairy Thoughts. About a girl who can read your thoughts through the ends of your hair… she is soon running a ‘life advice’ hairdresser shop in school.

7. Hi Mr Andrea and 5B.
    Container will take 50,000 years to decompose. How many bottles and plastic containers do you throw out a week? That’s a lot of landfill to leave around for 49,900 years after you die.
    From Skye

8. Hi Mr Andrea
    Everything was going well, until my Mum said, “I’ve got a job in California.”
    Chloe

9. Hi Mr Andrea,
    This is the sizzling start.

From Beth.

10. I crept into the backyard, it was pitch black. Tom was standing next to me. I clenched onto his hand for safety. I could sense that something was coming.

11. Hi mr Andrea,

Look what I have found. It might be useful. I have found this:www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIGpw8yuG8. It is a YouTube link which you can access from you home computer. It explains and gives examples for sizzling starts. I hope you check it out. I have found a sizzling start. If it rained for any longer , even the ducks would drown. I found in in the generalisation section in persuasive writing. I also found it sicastic.

From Ella

Thankyou,
    Ella

12. Hi mr Andrea

‘Well you were the one who forgot the can opener.’

13. Hi Mr Andrea,
    I found this sizzling start on the internet:
    I hate fishing and I bet the worms Dad sticks on
    my hook hates it to!
    I’m not sure if this really is a sizzling start?
    From Lachlan.

14. I saddle up my horse, and hoist myself up onto her back. Ah, I love that feeling. Being on a horse makes all my worries disappear, like nothing else matters, just the wind and my horse. So why does it feel like i’m being watched?

15. This is my sizzling start, well kinda,

They slobber on your best outfit, they bark all night and their breath smells exactly like meat left out in the sun for a week. Dogs as pets, I don’t get it. Give me a cat quiet and curled up on my knee, purrrrlease